Amlodipine is generally available in the form of an oral tablet as a generic drug. The brand name of this drug is Norvasc. It is available only in the form of tablet and hence it can only be taken via mouth. The drug is mainly used to control high blood pressure, heart issues such as angina and coronary artery diseases. In this article we will study the uses and side effects of Amlodipine.
What is Amlodipine?
Amlodipine is an oral tablet which is generally used to treat conditions such as high blood pressure, angina and other diseases of heart such as problems of coronary artery. The drug is sold under the brand name Norvasc. The drug is basically a calcium channel blocker and relaxes the blood vessels thereby facilitating the easy flow of blood. Amlodipine 5 mg best time to take? The best time to take the drug is before going to bed. In the same way Amlodipine 10 mg is also prescribed to the patients with high blood pressure and frequent headaches. The Amlodipine dosage depends generally on the condition of a patient.
Uses of Amlodipine:
Amlodipine is used to treat heart related concerns in general such as:
- High blood pressure
- Angina and pain in chest muscle
- Blockage of coronary artery by sclerosis or thrombosis etc.
- It lowers the blood pressure and is often used in combination with certain other medicines for heart.
- Since the drug is a calcium channel blocker, it is also used in the treatment of migraines and other form of chronic headaches.
- Amlodipine blocks the way of calcium in arteries and other body tissues so that they can relax. The same action helps in the easy flow of blood towards heart. The risk of heart attack or stroke is therefore reduced considerably.
- The medicine is used to get relief from chest pains, in this way it considerably reduces the risk of surgeries and needs of hospitalization due to chest problems such as pain or congestion.
Amlodipine Side Effects and Contraindications:
Since Amlodipine is an oral drug used to treat high blood pressure and heart concerns, there are several side effects reported by the patients getting the dose of Amlodipine. Due to some seriously reported side effects Amlodipine is banned in Holland and some other countries to ensure human health. The common side effects linked with the intake of Amlodipine are:
- Dizziness and feeling lightheaded.
- One of the Amlodipine side effects is anxiety.
- Swelling around feet and ankles
- Sometimes, the reaction is worst and one may need to consult emergency.
- The patients are advised to get up slowly especially if they are at lying position or sitting for a long time.
- Not all the people taking medicine experience these side effects, for a lot of people, no such after effects are seen despite using the medicine.
- Amlodipine side effects are breathing difficulties and allergic reactions due to inactive ingredients of the drug.
- The intake of drug sometimes results in fast heart beat, pounding of heart and palpitations. Amlodipine side effects on dental health as well and results in bleeding of gums.
- Though the medicine is used to lower the chest pain but sometimes the intake of medicine results in the worsening of symptoms. You need to consult your doctor immediately if you experience increased chest pain, pain in left arm or jaw and breathlessness.
- In some patients the use of this drug results in several allergies. Hence it is important to consult your doctor if you experience rash, allergic reactions such as swelling or itching along with breathing difficulties.
- Amlodipine side effects after stopping the medicine include irregular heart beat and acute anxiety.
Precautions While Using Amlodipine:
While using the drug there certain precautionary measures which you need to follow carefully. Some main precautions are mentioned below:
- You need to consult your doctor especially if you are allergic to any ingredient in it. Certain inactive ingredients of this drug can cause several allergic reactions.
- Tell your doctor about your medical history especially if you have any history of cardiac diseases, extremely low blood pressure, hepatic or renal diseases, stenosis etc.
- One of the main side effects of this drug is dizziness. It is therefore important not to drive any vehicle or operate any machine which requires mental alertness.
- Restrict your alcohol intake while on the drug.
- Amlodipine causes fatigue so avoid taking the medicine in day time or anytime where you need to be highly active.
- If you are going for any surgery it is important to consult your health care provider and discuss about the details of your medical history. The details should include prescription and non prescription drugs along with other herbal products if any used by you.
- Old age people are more sensitive and hence dizziness is much commonly reported in the patients using the drug with age over 70 years. Hence we can say that Amlodipine side effects in elderly are more severe.
- In the duration of pregnancy, if you need to take medicine you need to discuss the risk factors with doctor.
- In the same way, a research has proven that the medicine can pass into the breast milk and hence the intake of this drug can harm the baby. Consult your doctor if you are breastfeeding while using this medicine.
Special Warning While Using Amlodipine:
There are some special warnings before using the drug. You need to be very careful especially if you have a history of cardiac or hepatic diseases.
- The drug Amlodipine is processed in liver and any illness or malfunctioning of liver can result in the drug staying for a longer time in your body. As this happens, there is high risk of other associated side effects. Under this condition, doctors will advice lower doses to ensure better health.
- In certain cardiac health concerns, such as narrowing of blood vessels, pain in chest etc. the intake of drug can increase the risk of heart diseases. The patients taking this drug often report low blood pressure, pain in chest and angina. You need to consult your health care provider in this case to rule out any potential damage to life.
- One of the Amlodipine side effects is weight gain and hence if you are on a weight control program you need to talk to your doctor.
The Bottom Line:
Amlodipine is a drug which is normally prescribed to treat high blood pressure. It is calcium channel blocker and works by relaxing the tissues and blood vessels and ensures the easy flow of blood. Amlodipine is associated with some side effects as well such as swelling in arms and legs, dizziness, nausea, hot flashes, irregular heart beat and frequent heart palpitations etc. it is therefore important to consult your health care provider before using such drugs. Will Amlodipine side effects go away? Once the drug is withheld, it will take time before the side effects go away.
Read this Article : Causes and Treatment of Inverted Nipples