The Mucinex Dm ingredients are Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin. Dextromethorphan is used to suppress cough. It works by affecting the brain and signals which are likely to trigger the coughing response, hence Dextromethorphan is known commonly as a cough suppressant. The cough is either caused by exposure to allergens, infections such as bacterial or viral infections which result in increased mucus or phlegm production inside the upper respiratory tract. In this article we will discuss the uses and side-effects of mucinex while treating cough.
Why are Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin Used?
As we discussed above that Dextromethorphan is used to treat cough by reducing the coughing response in the brain. In the same way guaifenesin is also used for coughing as it is a cough expectorant which loosens the phlegm and mucus inside the respiratory tract making it easier to clean up the air passages and cough out through mouth. Both these medicines Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin are used to treat congestion in upper respiratory tract and chest caused by viral or bacterial infections. The common health conditions which result in excessive phlegm and mucus production in the body are allergies, common cold, isnfluenza etc. The dosage can be as high as Mucinex dm 600 mg. It is however important to note that some coughs are caused by smoking or asthma which cannot be treated with the help of medicines mentioned above.
Mucinex Dm Uses:
Since we discussed above that the medicine is the combination of cough suppressant and cough expectorant, it is used to treat sinus and nasal congestion in upper respiratory tract. The use of Mucinex Dm in Sinus infections has proven highly beneficial. Here are some of the following useful actions of Mucinex dm for human body. If Mucinex Dm vs. Mucinex is often compared; Mucinex Dm is much effective in terms of relieving from cough.
The combination of Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin (two drugs) help to thin out the bacterial secretions and loosen phlegm and mucus and hence provide fast relief from coughing. They make the cough more productive as well.
Mucinex dm reduces the urge to cough and this enables a patient to sleep better.
Also the combination of two drugs Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin in Mucinex dm help to lower the coughing intensity. The Mucinex dm was initially prepared as a prescription drug and now it is extensively used as over the counter or OTC medicine since 2014. There are many medicinal brands which are producing the drugs Dextromethorphan and gauiffenesion under the brand name of Mucinex.
Special Care While Using Mucinex Dm:
As discussed above Mucinex dm contains both cough suppressant and cough expectorant at the same time, the medicine is used effectively and extensilvely for the treatment of mild to intense coughing and congestion of chest and upper respiratory tract. There are some special care facts which are needed to follow while using such medicines according to Mucinex Dm reviews:
- If you are taking antidepressant medicines or any medicine to treat Parkinson’s disease, you should inform the doctor and avoid taking this medicine.
- Mucinex dm can also harm the growing fetus in the pregnant females. It is therefore important to note that the medicine should not be taken during pregnancy.
- In the same way, you need to talk to your doctor before taking Mucinex dm liquid if you are breastfeeding. Mucinex Dm active ingredients can penetrate in the breast milk.
- The medicine is not for children under 4 years of age. Avoid self medication and talk to your doctor before giving such medicines to the kids. The miscues or overuse of this medicine can result in death.
- If you miss a dose, use the missed dose soon as you remember. Never take extra medicine to make the missed dose up.
- In case of drug over use consult your nearby health care provider or call emergency.
- After the use of Mucinex Dm drowsy feeling is commonly reported, do not take this medicine before any exam. The best is to use Mucinex Dm before bed.
- The use of Mucinex Dm cough syrup can impair the process of thinking and response. It is very important not to drive and avoid any job where you need to be alert.
- If you are alcoholic, the side reactions of the drug are likely to aggravate. As Mucinex dm and alcohol both can result in toxic reactions.
- Mucinex Dm high is also reported by some patients.
Side Effects of Mucinex Dm:
As we discussed above, the self medication should be avoided. There are some possible Mucinex Dm side effects which are mentioned below:
- Get immediate medical supervision if you feel any allergic reaction on the body such as swelling in eyes, face, tongue or throat.
- Breathing difficulties are also caused sometimes due to the overuse of Mucinex and is also considered an allergic response of the body towards medicine.
- Mood swings and severe headaches
- Feeling dizzy, anxious and depressed.
- A feeling of passing out
- Sleeping problems which are sometimes mild to intense causing insomnia
- Diarrhea and stomach burn
- A person feels fatigued even on performing slight physical activity.
In the same way, there are some severe side effects which are sometimes, reported by some patients on using Mucinex Dm maximum strength. These serious and severe side effects of Mucinex Dm are mentioned below:
- Breathing difficulties due to serious allergic reactions after the intake of medicine
- Mild chest pains and tightness in chest area
- Itching and appearance of rash at various body parts along with hives.
- Swelling at face, hands, mouth and tongue etc. All these symptoms are indication of serious allergic reactions and you need to consult your nearby health care provider as soon as possible.
Mucinex dm is the combination of two drugs which are cough suppressants and cough expectorants at the same time. The medicine is exclusively for adults and children under four years should not be given this medicine in order to avoid complications. The medicine is advised during chest congestion and help people to recover faster. However the self medication is strictly forbidden and you need to take this medicine only under the prescription of doctor.
Read this Article : Causes Symptoms and Treatment of Cardiac Tamponade