Metoprolol is generally a prescription drug which is available at pharmacies. The drug is also presented as a generic drug. The low cost drugs are known as generic drugs. There are different brand names for this drug as well. It is used to treat many health concerns such as high blood pressure. In the same way metoprolol tartrate for migraines and metoprolol tartrate for heart palpitations are used commonly by doctors. In this article we will study the details about metoprolol tartrate which include its uses and side effects.
What is Metoprolol Tartrate?
The drug metoprolol is a prescription drug which is available in the market with many metoprolol tartrate brand names. There are some categories of drugs which are known as generic drugs which are relatively lower in cost. Metoprolol tartrate cost is generally very low. Metoprolol tartrate is also available in the pharmacies as generic drug. The Metoprolol tartrate dosage is used to treat many health concerns such as migraine, high blood pressure and anxiety. The class of drugs where metoprolol is added is known as beta blockers. If you are worried about Metoprolol tartrate vs Succinate metoprolol. Consult your doctor for a better choice.
Metoprolol tartrate Mechanism of Action:
The metoprolol tartrate belongs to the class of drugs known as beta blockers. The function of beta blockers is to block the action of adrenaline on the beta receptors located inside the heart and other blood vessels. As this happens, the blood vessels tend to relax and hence the blood pressure is lowered. The drug is also used to treat chest pains. Under normal circumstances, the blood pressure is elevated due to the tightening of blood vessels, as a result of it a strain or force is exerted on cardiac muscle increasing the oxygen demand in the body. Therefore, it can be concluded that beta blockers help to reduce the rate of heart beat and demand of heart for oxygen. Beta blockers cannot change blood pressure permanently rather they are used to manage some of the symptoms.
How to Use Metoprolol Tartrate:
The medicine is generally prescribed to be taken orally with meal or right after meal. The medicine is generally taken once, twice or thrice a day depending on the condition of a patient. Doctors often advise the intake of low dose at the beginning to reduce the risk of side effects. It is therefore important to follow the instructions of the doctor before taking such medicines. The timing of this medicine is also important. For example, if you are taking it at night, make it sure you take it regularly at night and don’t stop using it at once as it can make your symptoms worst. Doctor’s recommendation is the key if you want to stop taking this medicine.
- How long does it take for metoprolol tartrate to take effect? For the treatment of high blood pressure, the metoprolol tartrate can take many days and even weeks. You need to talk to your doctor if you want to discontinue its use. Withholding this drug suddenly can result in some serious health consequences.
- What is metoprolol tartrate 25 mg used for? In the same way if the medicine is prescribed for migraine headaches, heart pains or attacks, you need to take the dose regularly as prescribed by the doctor. It is however important to note that during the chest pain or migraine attack the use of drug won’t relieve the pain. you need some other medicines at this stage to get relief from a sudden attack. You can take mild pain killers like triptan to combat migraines while nitroglycerin is advised to be placed under the tongue if a patient experiences chest pain.
- Metoprolol tartrate 50 mg is given to the patients twice a day while sometimes metoprolol tartrate 25 mg twice a day is advised depending on the condition of a patient.
- If you don’t feel any improvement in health condition even after the use of this medicine you need to talk to your health care provider. Metoprolol tartrate effects are generally visible after few weeks.
Metoprolol tartrate Side Effects:
The medicine is used to treat many health concerns such as metoprolol tartrate for anxiety and panic attacks, high blood pressure, faster rate of heart beat, migraines. Though there are some side effects of using this medicine as well. The common side effects of metoprolol tartrate action include:
- Metoprolol overdose can result in dizziness and feeling of being tired
- Slow heart beat
- Drowsiness and decreased libido though very rare.
- Since the drug reduces the rate of heart beat, it reduces the flow of blood to hands and feet and makes them feel cold.
- Do not smoke while using this medicine as the use of cigarette can cause adverse reactions.
- At very rare conditions the use of medicine can result in very slow heart beat and blue toes and fingers, shortness of breath and sudden weight gain. You need to talk to your doctor if you encounter such side effects.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you have some allergic reactions after taking the drug. The redness of skin, rash, itching and swelling are the main symptoms of allergic reactions.
There are some precautionary measures you need to take while using this medicine. if you are allergic to chemicals such as propanolol or atenolol you need to talk to your doctor. Sometimes, the inactive ingredients of the medicine can result in allergic reactions.
If you encounter the following conditions in your medical history, don’t forget to inform doctor before starting this medicine.
- Sick sinus syndrome
- Slow heart beat
- Atrioventricular block
- Asthma, emphysema and other breathing disorders
- Hepatic or renal malfunction
- Mental disorders such as anxiety and depression
- Problems with blood circulation such as Raynaud’s disease.
If you have ever encountered these conditions, you need to talk to your doctor before starting the medicine regularly.
Metoprolol tartrate generally belongs to the class of generic medicines which are relatively low in cost. The metoprolol tartrate benefits are many. This medicine is proven highly effective in the treatment of many health concerns such as fast heart beat, high blood pressure, migraines. The metoprolol tartrate is beta blocker
which do not allow adrenaline to work on some of our vital organs as a result person stays calm with stable and normal heart rhythm. The medicine is linked with some serious side effects and a doctor’s prescription is needed to purchase it.
Read this Article :Healthy Aspects of Sitz Bath