Low grade fever is generally regarded as a body temperature which is not too high rather it is low and still several aches are accompanied with it. According to low grade fever definition it is slight elevation in body temperature due to some underlying infection. What is low grade fever temperature? The low grade fever generally is in range from 98.6° F to lower than 100° F. Fevers are generally helpful, it is a general defense mechanism of body against several infections. In this article we will learn what is low grade fever in adults? What are its causes and symptoms along with some possible ways of treating and dealing with it? Low grade fever in adults, fatigue and headaches are often related. And in this article we will learn the probable solutions.
What is a low grade fever ?
What is low grade fever considered? As discussed above in the Low grade fever definition, any fever which is not too high and the body temperature is slightly elevated in it is known as low grade fever. Though low grade fevers are uncomfortable yet they are body’s response against infections. The temperature ranging from 98.6° F to lower than 100° F is regarded as low grade fever. It is different from high grade temperature as it is much lower in intensity. Low grade fever in children and adults is generally caused by infections. For those who suffer from persistent low grade fever, cancer is generally a big fear but there are some other causes of this type of fever as well. What is low grade fever after immunization? It is a little fever produced mainly in children after immunization and vaccination.
Causes of low Grade Fever:
There are many causes of low grade fever in adult humans. Some of the very common causes of low grade fever are:
- Common cold which is regarded as upper respiratory tract infection is generally the main cause of low grade fever. What causes low grade fever and headache? A fever along with runny nose, sneezing and persistent coughing along with discomfort and soreness of throat is generally low grade and is caused by virus.
- Strep throat is an infection of throat which is caused by bacteria and is often termed as one of the main cause of low grade fever in adults. Low grade fever due to strep throat is also common in kids.
- Bronchitis is an infection of respiratory tract which is characterized by production of excessive mucus and intense cough; it also results in low grade fever in adults.
- Dengue fever which is common in tropical areas is also a low grade fever which results from mosquito bite.
- Intake of contaminated food or food poisoning can also result in low grade temperature.
- Sinus infections also known as sinusitis can result in frequent low grade fever in adult humans.
- Bone infections known medically as Osteomyelitis can also result in low grade fever along with stiffness and swelling across the bones and joints.
- Middle ear infection or otitis can also cause low grade fever. Low grade fever (ear infection) is common in children.
- Inflammation of appendix is medically known as appendicitis, the condition is caused due to the toxins storage in appendix.
- Bacterial gastroenteritis, tonsillitis, pelvic inflammatory diseases also result in low grade fevers.
- Low grade fever after operation is also expected in some patients especially with invasive surgeries.
Symptoms of Low Grade Fever:
Some of the key symptoms which are associated with low grade fever (regardless of their cause) are mentioned below:
- Excessive sweat production due to heat fluctuations of the body
- Feeling chill and shivering
- Headache and pressure on eyes
- Body aches, especially muscular pains and discomforts resulting in irritability
- Partial loss of appetite
- Dehydration and general weakness
Treatment options for low grade fever:
Low grade fever is generally not a serious health concern, but in most of the cases medical supervision is needed especially if the fever is accompanied with some other symptoms. Some easy and effective treatment options for low grade fever include:
- Adequate rest and intake of liquids. The more hydrated your body is, it would be much easier to lower the body temperature. Also remember that dehydrated body always has a bit high temperature as compared to the normal and hydrated body.
- A cold or damp cloth on forehead and back of your neck can also help to lower the fever immediately. You can take cold water and dip a clean cotton cloth in it for this purpose.
- Some fever reducers and pain killers to combat fever can be used as well. ibuprofen is best medicine in this regard.
- Taking bath is also recommended if the temperature is not going down.
- Wear light cloths so that heat escapes easily from the body.
When to Consult doctor?
Low grade fever is generally not a serious health concerns, but there are some warning signals as well. You need to consult doctor if you find out something alarming such as:
- If the temperature increases to 103° F and is recurrent.
- If your fever lasts for more than 3-4 days, it can be an indication of underlying concern.
- If you have some other symptoms along with low grade fever such as persistent headaches, severe coughing and shortness of breath, swelling in throat, nausea and vomiting, appearance of sudden rash on the skin.
Low grade fever is often seen in adult humans as the body fights against certain infections. Low grade fever is considered as a response or defense of the body against pathogens. There are many causes of low grade fever, the symptoms include sweating, body aches, headache, and fever which is little elevated than normal body temperature. Under normal conditions intake of fever reducers can reduce the fever but if there are some other symptoms associated with low grade fever, you need to consult your doctor for medical supervision.
Read this Article : Causes and Treatment of Pinched Nerve in Shoulder Blade